I recently led a 7-day clean eating group, and I was trying to come up with some ideas for clean meals that are “faster than fast food” for my participants. That eliminates a few of the top excuses for not eating healthy, no? I am always tempted to reach for convenience food when I come home starving and it’s way to easy to say that clean eating is way too involved. So, coming up with a few super easy, super fast recipes is my fall back plan so I don’t blow it. I’d like to share these with you too!
Here are a few meal-building lunch/dinner options:
#1. I saw this meal on a website where they asked top nutritionists what they eat on the run. If a nutritionist is eating it, I don’t mind if I do too!
Brown rice (or quinoa/other grain) + sugar snap peas (or any veggie) + black beans
#2. I happened to find this super healthy, organic meal mix at Walmart, right by the frozen Steamer veggies. It’s a kale, quinoa, feta mix that has an incredible amount of flavor and it’s very nutrient dense. I just added a can of black beans and a can of chickpeas for extra bulk with two bags of this, and I had lunch for the week!
3. I like toast-building options too. You can make a complete meal simply by building on top of toast. How about:
- Bruschetta: tomato, mozzarella, avocado, basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Peanut butter roll-ups: pb, honey and banana on a whole wheat tortilla
- Mini pizzas: mozzarella, tomato or tomato sauce, mushrooms, and onion on an English muffin, heated in the oven.
- Avocado/egg on toast
- Ricotta cheese and berries on toast
- Grown up grilled cheese: lean cheese and a pile of sauteed veggies (onion, pepper, zucchini, etc) on toast.
Do you have any fall-back recipes for clean eating on-the-run?