As promised, here is your broomstick workout for the week, a full-body regimen that hits all the right spots.
Print or pin the poster and use the description below to follow along.
- V-sit with twist: (a) Sit on your mat with knees bent and lean backwards, back straight, until your torso is at about a 45 degree angle. Hold the stick out in front of you. (b) Twisting your torso from side to side, touch the ends of the stick down to the ground. Alternate sides, 15 reps per side.
- Quad squeeze with triceps raise: (a) Kneeling on your mat, hold your workout stick behind your back, palms facing away from the body. (b) Lean your whole body back, feeling a squeeze in the front of your thighs, trying to maintain that straight line from head to knees. At the same time, use your triceps to push the stick out behind you. Return to start. Do 12 reps.
- Side lunge with side lean: (a) Stand facing forward. Step right foot out to side and press into a side lunge, keeping knees in line with the toes. (b) Once in the side lunge, lift your stick over your head and lean over to the right. Return to start. Do 12 reps per leg.
- Rear lunge with a twist: Stand facing forward. Step right foot behind you and lower into a rear lunge, both knees at right angles. As you lower into the lunge, twist your torso and stick over the bent left knee. Return to standing. Do 12 reps per leg.
- Ab V-reach: (a) Lie on your back and extend your legs straight up. Separate legs so they form a “V.” (b) Hold your workout stick over your body and lift your shoulders off the ground, using your abs to reach the stick toward your toes. Lower and repeat 15 times.
- Knee crackin’: (a) Stand facing forward, arms holding the stick straight up in the air. (b) Bring your knee up toward your chest as you bring the stick toward your knee. Alternate sides quickly, doing 20 reps per side.
- Hop-overs: Place your stick on the ground and stand next to it. (a) Quickly hop over the stick, landing on one foot. (b) Then, hop over to the other side, landing on the other foot. Perform 1 minute as quickly as possible.
- Superman Raises: Lying on your belly, hold the stick in your hands behind you, palms facing away from your body. (b) Lift your arms up behind you as you lift your torso. Try not to hyper-extend your back. (a) Lower to a few inches above the floor and repeat 12 times.
To make this workout even more of a fat burner, do one minute of hop-overs between each move. Repeat the whole circuit once or twice, depending on your ability and time. Don’t forget to stretch afterwards. You can even make your very own DIY workout stick to follow along.
Check back here next week for my third installment of broomstick workouts. It will be another full-body circuit.
Disclaimer: I am an NASM-certified personal trainer, however I cannot be with you in person to assess, check your form and guide you, so please remember that these workouts are done at your own risk. As always, check with your doctor before beginning this or any other exercise program and always honor your body’s abilities and limitations.